Sunday, October 23, 2011

It has been too long since my last post. I have learned to just accept that my writing comes to me when it comes. Some days it's feast, other days it's famine.
In looking at my July post, I was beyond ready for cooler weather. Who could blame me with the triple digit temperatures our area was contending with. Several months passed with temps averaging 105 degrees. Our power bill showed 102 degrees as the average temperature for June, so you can imagine what July and August bore. Now it is the middle of October and we are finally showing signs of cooling. Our high tomorrow is 85, and I'm okay with that although I'd prefer the 70's myself.
Chief has shown a preference for cooler weather too as he can play longer without over-heating. He has become more gray in his beard these past months. At only 4 1/2 years old, it makes him look older. Now, J and I have noticed a tiny white spot almost between his eyes on his snout. It's getting bigger; more gray coming. But what a wonderful dog he is. He is still a puppy at play (especially with J) as well as a more confident companion. His love for chasing evil squirrels is unmatched. However, now that we have spotted a couple of armadillos during our early morning walks, he is beside himself wanting to know what those weird looking, squatty creature are. I want absolutely nothing to do with them.
My Boy smiles.
Our weekends are spent as a pack. The mornings start outside by the pool playing or reading, or both. J makes coffee and often lets me sleep in while he takes care of Boy. While we run errands later in the day, we have been able to leave Chief out of his crate for short periods of the time. We are very careful about this since "Maligators" can be very destructive if left unsupervised for too long. So far, so good.
Now as our weekend winds down, Monday is just a few hours away and I am substitute teaching. Boy will have his fun puppy time, but I do miss him when I work. I suppose I like my homebody routine during the week with him. But isn't being apart what makes us appreciate and enjoy that time together all the more? When we are all together watching a movie or sitting outside, I can look over at my boys and think, "This is happiness."

What makes you happy? For me, happiness is:
1. J (after 18 years of marriage, this hasn't changed).
2. Waking up and realizing I got to sleep in.
3. Having someone cook for me. 
4. Completing the list of things I have to do.
5. Chief 
6. A clean house.
7. Folding laundry.
8. Smelling fresh-cut grass or burning leaves.
9. J laughing.
10. Earning money for my family. 
11. Clean sheets on the bed.
12. Laughing til I cry (doesn't happen nearly enough).
13. Visiting with family.
14. Pack time.

No comments: