Friday, July 1, 2011

I'm just doin' my job, ma'am.

I sometimes grow impatient when my sweet but fierce dog is simply doing his job. Living in Texas, we are fortunate enough to have a pool. A salt water pool. It was built in 1999 and is in remarkably good condition, but a milky white ring has formed around the pebble-tech finish along with calcium deposits around some of the rocks. After researching solutions and calling several pool companies, I found someone to come out and solve the problem. Surprisingly, it wasn't easy either.
I contemplated taking Boy for a play day at Benny's because I knew he would be on high alert watching some stranger lurking in the backyard for a few hours. BARKING continuously, running around in the house announcing the intruder until finally the intruder leaves. Over the years, I like to think I've build up a tolerance to it, but if I'm being honest, I'm not able to shut out the barking and mayhem for very long.  And I do want anyone working in our yard or around our house to know that I have a large, tightly-wound dog that is willing and able to protect me. But the barking!
So this morning, as I calmed Chief when the pool technician walked around the yard, moving this and that, bringing in equipment and generally working, I reminded myself Chief is just doing his job. I chant it to myself: he's just doing his job, he's just doing his job. And he is very good at his job. As I sit on the couch, he hops up and stands over me, leaning in close, watching Tate - the pool tech - out the back windows. Chief growls and watches closely. To me this feels very good, very comforting. I love this dog. Saying those simple words sounds so common, but I can't express how much I feel for this dog who looms so protectively over my lap. I watch him just as closely as he watches outside. He is a breath-taking beautiful animal. I never doubt him. Never.

1 comment:

Robin said...

How did "hide the cheese on Pam" go the other day??? I'm tellin' ya, if you'll hide some really good cheese around the house, I will play that game, too!