Thursday, June 9, 2011

"If your dog doesn't like somebody, you probably shouldn't either."

It has been a long while since I posted here, but something so unusual happened this morning that I wanted to post a record of it.
Typically, random accidents present themselves to me, not my hubby, but as my dear man was playing with Chief this morning, they clashed - Chief's snout landed hard against hubby's mouth. The "pop" sound I heard from the adjoining room was followed by a loud "OW!" so I knew someone got hurt. My husband and I are now conditioned to such accidents involving the dog because we have had our share of injuries. As posted at an earlier date on my blog, we have suffered black eyes, bloody noses, bruises - you get the picture. So when one of us gets hurt our initial question always follows: "Are you okay?" The injured one usually says, "Yeah. Chief just hit me (fill in the blank)." Not so this morning. Hubby sat up with a bloodied lip and teeth and said, "Chief chipped my tooth." He bared his teeth to show a noticeable chipped front left tooth where his perfect smile had just been. I managed to hold back any trace of a smile because I knew that was a painful accident, and J seemed distressed. Having had a chipped tooth as a girl, I knew what a dentist could do to fix the problem. As he checked himself in the bathroom mirror I assured him I would get him a dentist appointment as soon as possible, AND told him I had to get a picture. Without missing a beat he rinsed out his mouth and I snapped a couple of photos.  He went to work with his newly chipped tooth and a cut upper lip. Poor guy.
No matter how careful we try to be or the caution we take while goofing around with our sweet Boy, accidents are going to happen. Will it stop us from the play? Heavens no! I know come this evening when J gets home, he and Chief will be horsing around again, only with a bit more care. You see, Chief and J are puppy soul mates. They know each other very well. I'm almost convinced they knew each other long before they met a few years ago. And I am also confident they will be together in heaven. Jay has told me as such himself. I will be there too of course, whether it is before or after is in God's mighty hands.
I have experienced many "accidents" but am solely invested in God's all-knowing guidance for my life. This includes my husband's as well. Our pack members have come up against its share of challenges, as everyone has, and it is this comforting knowledge that helps us bear the victories, defeats, and all the in-betweens. J and I are currently awaiting some important news which will bring more change to our lives. The ever-present question right now is will we or won't we? It hovers back there in my brain leaving traces of hope and excitement, but I am also bracing myself for a let-down of sorts. If that let-down comes my way, my comfort will be in knowing God wanted us where we are. He is ultimately our Father, and a good, loving father wants only the best for his children. So, are there really "accidents" which occur? Accidents, luck, good fortune...or God's will and all-knowing power? Well, I know the path I follow. God is good and I am blessed beyond what I deserve. Broken teeth and all.

2 comments:

Robin said...

My question of struggle lately: God knows everything. So he knew mankind would fail. Yet he still chose to create us and allow that to happen. We were created for His glory. Knowing we would be unsuccessful, He created us anyway. Is that love, or did He have to create us because it was His plan rather than an act of love. Soooo confusing.

PK said...

I know your struggle girl. I believe since the beginning with Adam and Eve, human nature is prone to wanting to understand God. But, I think His is a divine love that we can't understand, and that is frustrating. I've asked why does God let this or that happen. When times are trying and there is no understanding it, we want to know the reason. Sometimes we just can't. Maybe I just let things go too easily, but it's how I get by.