Monday, March 3, 2008

"The dog represents all that is best in man." ~ Etienne Charlet

BALL, BALL, BALL, BALL, BALL, BALL.......
The weekend was a furry, high energy blurr. My hard-working, sweet husband made it home safely Friday night from a trip out of town. The weather was a snowy mess so I and his dog were a little worried. But, God is good.
J is the best of husbands. When he saw I was a bit tired from caring for Chief on my own all week, he promised to take care of puppy so I could rest up. I even got a nap on Saturday. I'm sure my greater-than-great sis-in-law can appreciate a good nap...and a good husband. I was also able to get a hair appointment in Saturday evening. Very relaxing.
Chief is starting to break out of his shell at home. He is definitely a people person in that he wants to be with J or me, but preferably both. He'll search high and low if one of us is hiding or goes missing without him knowing where. A true watch dog. When he's sleepy or just waking up, he is at his sweet best. He's a cuddler. A big, 75-lb. cuddler. My in-laws are supposed to visit from TN in April and we can't wait to see how Chief acquaints himself with them. I know my father-in-law will be laid back and relaxed. He's a lot like my husband. My mom-in-law is a different story. She likes animals, but watch out Miss C! He's a licker! Nothing like Barney, but Chief is so affectionate, he'll just use you as his pillow.
Since Chief is so young, he's also a bit clumsy. So much so, we're worried he might hurt himself running around after his all-important BALL. The guy hates to be without a tennis ball in his mouth. If he's not chomping or chasing one, he's gagging on one while pouncing like a cat on another. Never seen a dog that is so cat-like before. It's soooooo disgusting because of the slobber. We all know what a fan of slobber I am. The poor puppy slips, slides and skids into every wall and table and chair in our house. I wonder if he's as bruised and battered as I am, but I can't see it for all the fur?
Nevertheless, this is one dog that can bring out the affection in anyone. God is good.

1 comment:

Robin said...

Ah, the gangly "teenage" stage of the dog. When Barn was Chief's age, he was still trim (you know none of my critters are "trim" after about a month with me). As his legs got longer, they got out of control and he flailed everywhere. I did the same worrying. Barn would go at top speed, trip, bump his head, and act like nothing ever happened. I'd hold him down to check him, but of course, he thought that was a game, too. So finally after a few weeks, I didn't stress over it quite as much.. BUT I still think it's totally disturbing when they run into things and act like they weren't even tapped. I mean, we get big bruises. They don't seem to notice.

So he's a licker, eh?? And the gagging on one BALL while jumping on another is hilarious. They just keep going at that age. We used to wear out Barney. But he'd nap for five big minutes and be ready to go again. I had never had an indoor puppy before Barney, so I didn't know what it was all about. We didn't really sleep for the first two years we had him.

Now we have Pete, and he's a challenge. We haven't truly slept since September, but I can't complain. I'm the one who wanted him, so I guess I'll have to suck it up . . . plus, he has bizarre, extraordinary, darling whiskers and feet in that they're ENORMOUS, so we forgive him anything. And he knows it. You ought to see that cat run the show. And I mean the entire show.

He finally warmed up to Miss El, and now they greet each other soooooo sweetly. She'll wash his little face, and he'll arch up to rub under her chin. You can hear him purring across the room when they greet. It's so dang cute you just want to eat 'em both up. I think he might have allergies, though. We're going to have to check into that. As if him surviving a car hit and having surgery wasn't quite enough since September, ha!

Happy, drooly Tuesday, Chief! Be sure to run the show, buddy!!! It's the only way to live!