Saturday, March 8, 2008

When I am happy, he is joy unbounded. When I am a fool, he ignores it...Without him, I am only another man. With him, I am all-powerful. He's my dog."


Our family of three is learning by leaps and bounds. Our Chief came to us trained but with a stubborn will of his own. As our friend Ed warned us, Chief would take advantage of any situation where he could get one over on his new owners. And that he has. Ed paid a visit for follow-up training this week, and while puppy has overall been a joy, he has seen to it that J and I have had to work to make him obey. Ed's mini-training session has helped us see the error of our ways - and made me realize what a SUCKER I've been. I'm such a softy! Dang, I hate raising my voice or being dominating. Unfortunately, that's exactly what I'll need to do. It's just not in my nature to be that way around animals. I'm a nurturer, not an alpha-dog leader. And so, my work continues.

The winter weather here is wreaking havoc with any attempt to be outside, but that doesn't stop puppy play or walking. Belgian Malinois are high-energy, working dogs that have to be engaged in something when they are not sleeping. If they become bored they become destructive and make mischief. Since I was under the weather today, my sweet buddy handled Chief's play and exercise. We've been having difficulty getting him to heel when we walk him, which is something the dog KNOWS how to do, but Chief pulls ahead and wants to lead. So, at Ed's suggestion, we purchased a prong collar to help as a training ad, and only a training aid. The change in Chief's attitude while walking was amazing. J said it best: "It's like he's a different dog!" It's still a little soon to proclaim problem solved, so we'll just wait and see for now.

Isn't God good though? I've prayed for help with puppy's training and for me, and I feel He's heard me. I know I stress too easily about things. I get worked up over things that are not that important. Even Ed noticed it when he was coaching me during our training session. He didn't come right out and say it, but his calling me "a little Navy Seal" when I tried to crate the dog was a clue. I've gotta relax! That's where J balances me. He is another answer to my prayers. I take stock in my blessing every day. I know how fortunate God has allowed me to be. Perhaps if more people considered what they have instead of what they don't, the world would be a much happier place. And more people would have pets like Hobbes and Chief.

2 comments:

Robin said...

The picture is priceless!!!! J looks overjoyed, and Chief is obviously completely trusting of his new surroundings (the exposed belly gives that away). GREAT shot! It needs printed and framed!

Ah, the joys of being firm. When I first got Barney, I couldn't stand to make the little guy do something he didn't want to do. Well, except for the house training part, and he learned that pretty much right off the bat. If I overhead him being fussed at for naughty behavior, I used to run into the room, tuck the little guy under my arm like a football, and run off with him. What did that get me? An adorable neurotic mess . . . he's much better behaved for his "daddy," who was better at the disciplining thing than me . . .

Same thing when El came along. I pretty much let her run the show and forgave her anything. Still do . . . . but since we got her at closer to 10 months, she didn't turn into a neurotic mess. She was already well developed. Her "joy" outbursts are priceless. She started doing those after being with us for about three months. I need to video an episode. They're hilarious, amazing, touching, and wild, all in one.

The Navy Seal comment was stinkin' hilarious. Probably not to you at the time, but . . . . I laughed out loud. Glad to know there's another soft touch out there!

Have you held up my picture yet to Chief to show him his Aunt Robin? Don't forget!

Dinahsoar said...

Love the picture of Jay and Chief.... "blissed" out it appears.

So sweet....