Friday, February 29, 2008

"To live long, eat like a cat, drink like a dog." - German Proverb

My man is in-love with another guy...our new puppy, Chief. I knew I had taken second seat to the dog on the first night when J was up every 2 hours, taking the object of his affection outside in the 20 degree weather for a phantom pee or poop that never happened. New daddy jitters.
But, the new daddy had to go out of town two days after we got Chief, and I was sole caretaker of our new pet. So I sucked it up and walked the puppy in the early morning hours and after work in the evening. We played ball until my fingers were pruned because of dog slobber. I scooped poop and begged Chief to "hurry up" at 4:30 in the freezing cold morning. I guess you could say we bonded. He rarely lets me leave his sight. He's a faithful hero with a child-like spirit.
I learned a few things about myself in this my first week of new mommy-hood. To begin with, I can endure near-zero weather for extended periods of time. For those close to me, this is a feat because I'm a born and bread Southern girl who likes her warm, fuzzy, comfy clothes by a roaring fire. It must be said, I was excited about having the dog, but more excited about J coming home on Friday. I've been workin' for the weekend. Right on!
There have been marked differences in our house since the arrival of Chiefton. Before Chief (BC) I would work later and work at home. I cleaned when I wanted and did laundry only when absolutely necessary. I was a lazy bum. Since puppy arrived, I've gotta clean and do laundry. I don't like slipping in slobber, wearing slobber, smelling like slobber or just seeing slobber. Maybe the title of this blog should've been The Slobber Chronicles.
Some other marked changes:
  • BC ~ hubby kissed me hello AC ~ hubby kisses Chief hello
  • BC ~ hubby said I smelled good AC ~ hubby tells Chief he smells good
  • BC ~ sleeping late on the weekends AC ~ happy to sleep past 4:30 a.m. any day
  • BC ~ my neighbors ignored me AC ~ neighbors act as though I've won the lotto
  • BC ~ personal space and privacy AC ~ walking from the kitchen to den takes 20
    minutes
  • BC ~ hubby shopped online for me AC ~ We have our own Pet Smart account

But the biggest difference in our home since Chief arrived has to be that the empty void left by the passing of my sweet Hobbes feels a bit less now. Hobbie was a sweet soul who gave me nothing but unfailing love and adoration, and I do miss him so. When I write about him I still tear up. I'll always hold him so close to my heart. His warm purr and soft striped furry pajamas offered me such comfort on the worst of days. Pets can advance our ability to love without us even knowing it. He's still here with me but I don't see how the ache in my heart will ever stop. But I think Chief is working hard to change that. With a sleepy stare he'll check for my presence and relax a little easier knowing his new mom is okay and by his side. We are safe and a little happier each day.

1 comment:

Robin said...

Ha! I liked the "Slobber Chronicles." That was hilarious!

Speaking of laundry, I finally kicked mine in the butt, so it left plenty of time for me to do dog blankets this weekend. Yes, indeed. They get smelly after a bit of time. Outside stink combined with slobber will force you to do laundry at the odd hour and even when you don't feel like it. Isn't it great??!!!!!

So glad you and Chief had bonding time together. In his mind, he's probably thinking you're his girlfriend!! Barn's that way about me. Even though he favors T over me, sometimes he gets jealous if T is giving me a hug. He'll try to squeeze in the middle of the hug and look at me like "you all right, mama??" It's hilarious. Sometimes we hug just to see if we can get his reaction.

Isn't it great that these critters "set our hours" for us? Ha! The routine thing can be a killer. Even on weekends, I still have to get up for wees and doos. Not quite so early as weekdays, which is 5 a.m. But usually by 6:30 a.m., I'm being urged by panting, pacing dogs that there is business to tend to! And, of course, I get up. Oh, well. At least my day doesn't get wasted in bed. It gets me up and going.

Would love to see more pictures soon!!!!