Monday, June 9, 2008

No amount of time can erase the memory of a good cat, and no amount of masking tape can ever totally remove his fur from your couch. - Leo Dworken


After being away to visit family in NC this weekend, I returned home to discover how much I really missed puppy. This did surprise me since I didn't think I was as attached as I've become. Since my Hobbie died in November, I guess I've tried to ignore just how much I need my new puppy. I'm not sure that he missed me as much, but he's still as slobbery sweet as always.

It's so hot out right now, up in the 90s, and Chief is not one for staying out in this type of heat for long. Hobbes was a different story - even with a full-on fur coat, he would find a little shade and fall asleep. One of my favorite pictures is of him asleep in the deck, belly up - I think I posted that one already. I will miss him this summer. I so enjoyed cuddling up with him, putting my ear to his belly and listening to his loud purr. As for Chief, he's not much of a purrer, but he does cuddle once in a while. It's usually when he's so wiped out from being up during the day or for a weekend that he's at his most affectionate.

Best story to date starring hubby and Chief: the puppy pool. As the heat has cranked up and Chief needs to play and burn some energy, hubby went out this weekend and bought an $9 plastic pool - you know, the kind you see in almost every yard with kids. Chief's first responses to the pool were total indifference. He didn't want it, hate it or even understand that water means relief. SO...Sunday evening I'm out with my favorite guys in 90 degree heat and J is encouraging puppy to at least walk through the pool. Nothing. So I tell J to get in the pool, which he does; takes off his socks, shoes, stands in the pool. Nope. (Note: I think during all of this Chief KNOWS what's going on and what J is asking, but just wants to see how far he'll go to get some pool action.) Now I'm thinking J is gonna have to sit in the water, but I don't want to tell him that b/c I know he'll do it. In the next second hubby comes up with the idea himself and down he goes. Picture a 6 foot man with T-shirt and shorts sitting in a sky-blue kiddy pool, urging a 75 lb. dog to "Come on! Come on buddy! Come on in! Get in the pool!" This puts Chief in a twitter as to what to do next. Does he get his feet wet??? Jay, his life's-love, is sitting in the water and he's calling out to puppy! What to do ?!! He prances and prances around the pool for a minute or so and...I would love to tell you to look at the picture to find out, but I didn't snap one - DANG! Our fearless Chief got in and followed Jay's commands to sit and lie down - in the pool, in the water, with his Jay. That dog surely loves his master.

1 comment:

Dinahsoar said...

How cute...wish you had a picture...I think Chief is adorable....he makes me smile when I think of him.