Friday, January 23, 2009

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? ...they will be there long before any of us." RLS

Hubby downloaded some new pics of our puppy last night so I thought I'd share some with the blog fans, the few I have. My intention was to keep up blogging more steadily this year, but time is so precious. I spend it more carefully than I did a year ago. Part of that is due to our pup, Chief. While he demands a lot of my attention and time, he is so well-worth it all.

Lately, whenever I or my husband read about Belgian Malinois (Chief's breed), the literature will always state, "This breed is not recommended for first-time dog owners." D'OH! Even if we had known this about our puppy, after meeting Chief almost a year ago, I think we still would've picked him, and now we are so glad we did. Neither J nor myself can imagine our home without that dog. He has such a strong personality and is very attached to us both. Well, he's especially fond of J, that can't be denied. Chief watches J with an affectionate intensity that I've not seen in a pet before. If I put my mind to it, I could worry what would become of puppy should something ever happen to my J. But I'm not jealous. Puppy and I have our own attachment and bond. At night when we all go up to be to lay in our little "pack", he waits for me to get in bed and under the covers, then comes to lay up against me while I snuggle with him. He's so warm and sweet when he's sleepy too. In the mornings, when I get up and puppy comes in from his exercise with J, he almost always seeks me out and gives me a puppy "hug" where he leans up against me. He's just very special to both me and J.

In this picture Chief and I are having a serious discussion...
On to another important topic - the weather which has been icily obnoxious for the past month, or it seems like a month. In reality it's been only a couple of weeks, but I think we are all here in the East are quite tired of temperatures in the single digits or teens. We were finally given a God-is-good break yesterday when the mercury rose to about 35 degrees. Puppy and I played and played and then walked for a good while. It was WONDERFUL! I didn't feel the inside of my nose freeze up, and my face didn't feel like it would crack and chip off like ice. Plus, I didn't have to fit Chief in his doggy boots. He looks hilarious, but they protect his paw pads from cracking and bleeding. Hubby laughed at me last night when I told him how excited I was that it reached 35 degrees. And the best day of the week is today - it's sunny and should reach 45 today! Well, it's Friday, and I'm looking forward to the sun, snow, cold and warmth with my family of three. God is so generous to me and my pack. I love them more each day, more than myself, more than I thought possible. I hope you and yours have this kind of love in your lives with those in your "pack".





2 comments:

Dinahsoar said...

I just can't help but giggle when I see Chief in his boots...way cute. He is a happy heart and fun to be around...I'm glad you have him..I never have to worry about your safety.

Robin said...

I love the booties, too! They're GREAT! He is way too cute.
Loved your quote. Dogs, cats, lions, bears, chipmunks - you name it. They'll all be there. Can't wait to see Snuggles and all my other beloved kitties who have gone before me. I like to think that Snugs, Midnight, Hobbes, Mr. Dickens, etc., are up there tearing it up together and having a good time. And I like to think that God often goes by and picks them up for a cuddle and a lovvie. And takes them treats. Bet he does. 'Cuz God is just that cool!!